Ever wonder exactly how much the average American eats in a year?
The statistics compiled in this information packed infographic, courtesy of Visual Economics, are bound to surprise you.
What are we eating?
The average American is 36.6 years old and eats 1,996.3 lbs. of food per year.
The average man is 5’9″ and weighs 190 lbs. The average woman is 5’4″ and weighs 164 lbs.
Each year, Americans eat…
- 85.5 lbs. of fats and oils.
- 110 lbs. of red meat, including 62.4 lbs. of beef and 46.5 lbs. of pork.
- 73.6 lbs. of poultry, including 60.4 lbs. of chicken.
- 16.1 lbs. of fish and shellfish and 32.7 lbs. of eggs.
- 31.4 lbs. of cheese and 600.5 lbs. of non-cheese dairy products.
- 181 lbs. of beverage milks.
- 192.3 lbs. of flour and cereal products, including 134.1 lbs. of wheat flour.
- 141.6 lbs. of caloric sweeteners, including 42 lbs. of corn syrup.
- 56 lbs. of corn each year and eat 415.4 lbs. of vegetables.
- 24 lbs. of coffee, cocoa and nuts.
- 273.2 lbs. of fruit each year.
What foods are American’s eating?
These foods include…
- 29 lbs. of French fries
- 23 lbs. of pizza
- 24 lbs. of ice cream
- 53 gallons of soda , averaging about one gallon each week
- 24 lbs. of artificial sweeteners
- 2.736 lbs. of sodium
- 0.2 lbs. of caffeine
- 90,700 mg.
In total, Americans eat an average of 2,700 calories each day.