It’s a sure sign that summer is right around the corner – the delicious aroma of steaks, burgers and chicken on the grill!
But of all the potential dangers you might expect to be warned about when grilling, this—one of the biggest and the smallest—is one you’ve probably never even heard of before.
Researchers are sounding the alarm over a hidden danger that may be found in food hot off the Barbie, and this is something you and everyone you care about needs to know.
Over a thousand folks have ended up in the hospital
Experts warn that tiny pieces of wire can break off from brushes when cleaning your grill.
In fact, it’s already sent over a thousand people to the ER, and it can cause you more pain and suffering than you could imagine.
Dr. David Chang, from the University of Missouri School of Medicine, said that small pieces of wire on a grill can hide in food, and when eaten lodge in the mouth, throat and tonsils.
And even if you successfully swallow a wire barb, it could be even worse. Those tiny wires can then get stuck “further downstream” in your esophagus, stomach or even intestine.
That’s what happened recently to Cheryl Harrison, a Connecticut woman who needed emergency surgery to remove a wire fragment from her lower intestine. And this was two days after she accidentally ingested it in a burger!
Grilling tips to keep your loved ones safe
Harrison now warns others to “visually check to see if any bristles (are) hanging out or stuck on the grill.”
And Dr. Chang adds these additional suggestions for safer grilling:
- Check out wire-bristle brushes BEFORE using them, and toss them if any of the bristles are loose.
- Use alternative cleaning methods such as nylon bristle brushes or even rolled up tin foil.
- Check out grilled food after cooking to make sure no bristles are stuck to the food.
All those precautions may seem like a pain in the neck, but swallowing one of these little devils can produce a pain of a far worse kind!
With grilling season ramping out please share this important information with your friends and family. It could save someone from a lot of pain… or even save their life!
Jenny Thompson is the Director of the Health Sciences Institute and editor of the HSI e-Alert. Through HSI, she and her team uncover important health information and expose ridiculous health misinformation, most notably through the HSI e-Alert.
Visit www.hsionline.com to sign up for the free HSI e-Alert.
Latest posts by Jenny Thompson (see all)
- Stop using toxic cleaning chemicals in your home - September 25, 2016
- Stockpile vitamin D to stay healthy all fall and winter long - September 17, 2016
- Slash blood pressure & cholesterol with this ancient Indian practice - September 5, 2016