Combine the expense with the time it takes to make an appointment, wait to be seen and then follow the medicinal protocol, and it adds to an already overloaded wallet and schedule.
If you’re looking for an alternative, try these common-sense home remedies suggested in the Mayo Clinic’s Book of Home Remedies for these common complaints. It turns out grandma was right all along!:
- Before bedtime (1 to 2 hours) relax in a warm, soothing bath.
- Gently stretch your body.
- Keep naps during the day to no more than 30 minutes.
- Don’t eat within 2 hours of going to bed.
- Avoid foods that are known to trigger heartburn such as tomato products, peppermint, alcohol and fatty foods.
- Keep your weight at a healthy level.
- Frequently wash your hands.
- Eat a healthy whole foods diet.
- Drink, drink, drink to stay hydrated. Stick with purified water and avoid sugary sodas, tea, coffee, energy drinks and bottled juices.
- Get plenty of rest and sleep.
- Eat chicken soup—really! It can help relieve sinus congestion.
Some of these suggestions you may have heard from your grandmother, but now you know they really can work!
And a little common sense can keep you out of the doctor’s office… and keep more money in your pocket.
Michael Cutler, M.D. is a board-certified family physician with 18 years experience specializing in chronic degenerative diseases, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue.
A graduate of Brigham Young University, Tulane Medical School and Natividad Medical Center Family Practice Residency in Salinas, Calif., he serves as a medical liaison to alternative and traditional practicing physicians. His practice focuses on an integrative solution to health problems.
Dr. Cutler is a sought-after speaker and lecturer on experiencing optimum health through natural medicines and the Founder and Editor of Easy Health Options™ newsletter—a leading health advisory service on natural healing therapies and nutrients and is Medical Advisor for True Health™—America's #1 source for doctor-formulated nutrients that heal.
For more information visit www.truehealth.com.
Latest posts by Dr. Michael Cutler (see all)
- Get Eagle Eyes, Radiant Skin, and Super-Charged Immunities - October 8, 2015
- 4 quick tips to help banish headache pain FAST! - October 5, 2015
- Do healthy sugar substitutes really exist? - September 18, 2015