Fad diets can cause you to lose weight. But it’s often just water weight and it can come with a steep cost to your health.
And most diets—even ones that are generally healthy—are hard to maintain. Plus you usually gain the weight right back as soon as you go off them. Talk about frustrating.
Then there are the diet drugs which come with embarrassing and even dangerous side effects. Or risky surgeries that can easily backfire with catastrophic consequences.
The truth is true, and lasting, fat burning is a lot like Bigfoot. Many folks claim to have seen it, but there’s very little hard evidence of its existence.
That is until now. Because scientists say, they’ve discovered that something your body is already producing… bile acids… has been hiding a “secret” fat-burning ability.
New study reveals fat burning breakthrough
You probably have heard of bile before. But if you don’t know exactly what it is, you’re in good company. Most folks don’t.
Bile is a greenish-yellow liquid that your liver produces and stores in your gallbladder. Your body releases some of it into your intestines when you eat to help with digestion. Bile makes fat easier to digest and be absorbed.
Bile is made of a number of different things including water, electrolytes, cholesterol, fatty acids, sodium, potassium, calcium, bilirubin and bile acids. And it’s that last ingredient that scientists have discovered could help us in our efforts to shed unwanted fat.
There are three kinds of body fat…
- white, energy-storing fat
- brown, energy-burning fat
- beige, “beiged” white fat that acts like brown fat
But according to the new study published in the journal Nature Communications, bile acids have the ability to transform blubbery white fat cells into the beige, fat-burning variety.1
Burn through blubber by increasing beige fat
If you’re a long time Healthier Talk reader, you may recall I told you a bit about belly-fat battling beige fat last year.
When you were a baby, you had a lot of brown fat. Your body would burn it, a process called thermogenesis, to help keep you warm. But as an adult, you shiver to stay warm and you have far more energy-storing white fat than brown.
Which is why keeping the weight off as you age can be so challenging. And it’s also why the beigeing of white fat is so exciting.
The researchers were able to activate bile acid receptor sites in the body with molecules that mimic the actions of bile salts. This in turn triggered white fat cells to change their metabolic function, transforming them into those fat burning beige cells we desire.
In other words, there is a direct connection between bile acids and fat loss.
Support better bile to supercharge fat burning
The scientists say we need more research to figure out how to turn this breakthrough into a real world fat-burning solution. But there’s no reason we can’t start laying the groundwork now.
We already know a few tricks for supporting healthy bile function, and bumping up bile flow. And increasing the bile acids in your blood could lead to more beige fat and fat burning.
Start with foods which can help increase bile production …
- Water with freshly squeezed lemon juice first thing in the morning
- Eat more garlic, onions, carrots, celery, radish, beets and artichokes
- Eat more bitter foods to stimulate liver function such as arugula, dandelion greens, coffee, kale and turmeric
- Eat more apple cider vinegar
- Eat more probiotic foods such as kefir, kimchi, fermented sauerkraut, kombucha and natto
- Drink more dandelion, peppermint, ginger and green teas
- Eating more detoxifying foods including legumes, seeds, fish, eggs, broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower
- Eating more selenium rich foods such as Brazil nuts (don’t overdo it!), yellowfin tuna, sardines and halibut
- Drink plenty of water to combat thick and sluggish bile
Next, support your liver and healthy bile production by…
- Slashing simple sugars from your diet
- Cutting back on processed foods
- Avoiding smoking
- Limiting alcohol
- Limiting your use of unnecessary drugs
- Eating smaller meals
And then consider some liver and bile-flow supporting supplements such as….
- omega 3’s
- chlorella and/or spirulina
- vitamin c
- ox bile
Why wait? Support your liver, boost your bile function and supercharge your fat burning all at the same time.
1. “TGR5 signalling promotes mitochondrial fission and beige remodelling of white adipose tissue,” Nature Communications 9, Article number: 245 (2018)
She is an advocate of self-education and is passionate about the power of group knowledge sharing, like the kind found right here on HealthierTalk.com. Alice loves to share her views on holistic and natural healing as well as her, sometimes contentious, thoughts on the profit-driven inner workings of traditional medicine.
Follow Alice and HealthierTalk on Twitter and Facebook.
Latest posts by Alice Jacob (see all)
- Coconut oil backlash is pure bunk… here’s why - October 19, 2018
- Drink 4 cups of this “banned” beverage daily for a teenage heart - October 18, 2018
- Fatigued & foggy? Over 1 in 10 falls short on 2 critical vitamins - October 17, 2018