If you, or someone you care about, is one of the 25 million Americans who battle sleep apnea, you’re going to want to read this.
It’s weird, wacky, and…well… wonderful. And if you hate CPAP, it could be the solution you’ve been desperately searching for.
Trust me… as strange as this is going sound… it could help you get some of the best sleep of your life. Better still, it could help your partner sleep well again, too.
And if you’ve been chased out to the sofa or easy chair because of your snoring due to sleep apnea, this oddball trick could even get you restored to your rightful place in the bedroom.
It can do four key things at once…
- EASE or END snoring
- IMPROVE nighttime breathing
- STOP or REDUCE sleep apnea episodes
- ENHANCE sleep quality
All you have to do is get some exercise. But wait, it’s NOT the kind of exercise you’re thinking about right now. That’s the wild part.
You don’t have to run. Heck, you don’t even have to stand.
Because this sleep-enhancing exercise involves just a single part of your body. And it’s so easy to pull off you could literally do it from your bed.
The truth behind snoring and apnea
Here’s the deal. Losing weight DOES help improve sleep apnea. In some cases, it can even cure it completely.
We know that. And if you’re carrying around more than a few extra pounds, I certainly encourage you to give weight loss a shot if you haven’t already.
But the new study finds that fat in one specific place could be the cause of many of your problems. And that’s fat in your TONGUE.
It turns out that about a third of the apnea benefits from losing weight come directly from having a slimmer, trimmer tongue.
That makes sense since a larger tongue can block the airways, leading to snores, grunts, and those sudden lapses in breathing that make apnea so frightening.
Now, don’t rush out looking for liposuction for the tongue. It doesn’t exist.
You can, of course, start working on losing weight in general. Kick the processed foods to the curb, dump the junk carbs, and focus on eating lower-carb fresh foods. Over time you’ll burn off fat throughout your body, including in your tongue.
But there’s another way to get started right away on achieving a slimmer trimmer tongue. Exercise it. Seriously.
Give your TONGUE a workout to ease sleep apnea
As strange as it sounds, you really can give your tongue a workout that’ll help it slim up so you can turn down the snoring and start sleeping apnea free.
Give these three weird, but effective, tongue exercises a try…
- The TIGER YELL: Also called the silent scream, all you do for the Tiger Yell is open your mouth like a tiger about to roar. Don’t actually yell, just open wide and stick your tongue out and down as far as you can, holding that position for about 5 seconds. Do this 10-12 times.
- Tongue PUSH-UPs: It’s the most painless push-up you’ll ever do. Just press your tongue up against the roof of your mouth – your hard palate – and slide it back about 20 times.
- Tongue PRESS: Push the tongue up against the roof of your mouth and hold it there for three minutes.
If those are just a little too weird, or you want to switch things up a bit, I’ve got one more tongue-ercise that might be the easiest one of all. Belt out a song.
I don’t mean hum along to your favorite song or half-mutter a few lines under your breath. You’ve got to commit and REALLY sing it loud and sing it proud. Because a study a few years ago found that sleep apnea patients who do daily singing exercises often enjoy significant improvements in the condition within three months.
YouTube has some basic vocal and singing exercises you can try if you want to follow a program. Start by searching for “vowel exercises singing,” and you’ll find something that’s both easy to follow and fun to do.
Latest posts by Alice Jacob (see all)
- Keep calm and beat America’s ANXIETY pandemic - April 3, 2020
- Could D help keep us healthy in the age of CORONA? - April 3, 2020
- The ‘athlete’s secret’ to restoring your stamina - April 2, 2020