I am 69-years-old and both my wife and I suffer a great deal from joint pain, which seems especially bad during the cold winter months. We hate taking so many prescription medicines to try to control the pain and reduce inflammation, and we hope you can give us some ideas about natural methods to use instead. Do you have any suggestions?
You might be able to stop taking pain relievers once and for all if you choose to switch to natural herbs, which can both help fight pain and may help rebuild your joints. These therapies include…
- Alfalfa which provides essential minerals for bone development and can either be eaten as a raw plant or taken in capsule form.
- Amur Corktree is an herb sold under the name Nexrutine and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Boswellia extract can help control osteoarthritis and reduce inflammation.
- Bromelain is an enzyme extracted from pineapples that reduces inflammation.
- Capsicum is also known as cayenne pepper, chili pepper and red pepper. It contains ample amounts of capsaicin, which causes the pungent and irritating effects. Applying this herb as an ointment or cream multiple times a day can provide you with real relief from joint pain.
- Devil’s Claw root is a pain-reliever and anti-inflammatory, and is often found in herbal combinations for arthritis.
- Ginger extract can help moderately reduce osteoarthritis pain according to some studies.
- Keratin is found in much of your body’s connective tissue such as skin, hair and teeth and is high in the amino acid cysteine, which is a shock-absorber and helps strengthen weight-bearing joints. Keratin is found in a scientifically formulated compound that can counteract joint destruction over time.
- Korean Angelica is an herbal agent that works on the central nervous system to help fight inflammatory pain throughout the body.
- Nobiletin has been shown in laboratory animals to dramatically suppress destructive inflammation.
- SAMEe (S-Adenosyl-Methionine) is as effective as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) in increasing joint function and decreasing pain without the side effects.
- Stinging Nettle leaf extracts help restrain the inflammation in autoimmune conditions like those found in rheumatoid arthritis.
- Willow Bark contains substances with powerful anti-inflammatory properties.
Michael Cutler, M.D. is a board-certified family physician with 18 years experience specializing in chronic degenerative diseases, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue.
A graduate of Brigham Young University, Tulane Medical School and Natividad Medical Center Family Practice Residency in Salinas, Calif., he serves as a medical liaison to alternative and traditional practicing physicians. His practice focuses on an integrative solution to health problems.
Dr. Cutler is a sought-after speaker and lecturer on experiencing optimum health through natural medicines and the Founder and Editor of Easy Health Options™ newsletter—a leading health advisory service on natural healing therapies and nutrients and is Medical Advisor for True Health™—America's #1 source for doctor-formulated nutrients that heal.
For more information visit www.truehealth.com.
Latest posts by Dr. Michael Cutler (see all)
- Get Eagle Eyes, Radiant Skin, and Super-Charged Immunities - October 8, 2015
- 4 quick tips to help banish headache pain FAST! - October 5, 2015
- Do Healthy Sugar Substitutes Really Exist? - September 18, 2015