I wanted to give you a brief but exciting follow up to my recent article on telomeres and cancer. I swear I had no idea that JAMA would release an article in the traditional medical press proving every single thing I said, but it happened. (JAMA. 2010;304 (1):69-75. doi: 10.1001/jama.2010.897)
It is refreshing to see how fast “traditional” medicine is coming around to nontraditional views. Those of you who read my healtheritalk.com article posted a while back understand my view on telomeres and cancer.
The following sums it up:
1) Cancer is a disease of short telomeres.
2) Cancer is a disease of a faulty immune system.
3) 1 and 2 are intimately related, as short telomeres in the immune cells create a condition known as “Immunosenescence” or literally “an old immune system.”
4) Long telomeres signify a healthy cell with intact genetic material.
5) Short telomeres signify an “old cell” that is more likely to mutate. The telomeres are part of the “guardianship” mechanism by which cells remove themselves from the cellular pool. Long telomered cells do not need to be removed, at least not for genetic reasons (you could still have massive trauma to the cell).
6) The difference between the shortest telomere group and the longer telomere group was a 400% greater incidence of cancer in the short group. The “severity”, judged by how many people died, was also much higher in the short telomere group!
I was both happy and shocked to see an article relating telomere length to cancer, morbidity and mortality (sickness and death) in a traditional medical journal because it represents a radical departure from their old thinking and means more research really WILL be done.
If you have been following the writings, then you will not be surprised by what they found. Short telomeres are associated with cancer, long telomeres far less so. And it is proportionate, meaning the longer your telomeres, the less likely you are to get cancer.
Keeping your telomeres healthy is about two things, mainly. A) Slowing down the loss and that is what the bulk of our book, “The Immortality Edge” is about, and B) adding length, which we know for sure improves your immune system response and probably a lot of other things!
That is the sole domain of TA-65. These are exciting times to be alive and to look ahead to more health and more life!
Note: the above is not meant to suggest that we have a cure or prevention for cancer. It is only meant to tell you where we are at with telomere biology and cancer.
As per your requests from my last article I’ll have more out for you very soon! Just let me know if you want more please and I will put pen to paper.
Dr. Dave Woynarowski, MD, was born in the 1950s in the heart of Southeastern Pennsylvania. Raised in a family of doctors and scientists, “Dr. Dave” continued the tradition, graduating from Temple Medical School in the 1980s, after earning his Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of Pennsylvania with a dual major in Biology and English.
After completing his Residency in Internal Medicine, Dr. Dave passed the Internal Medicine Boards and joined his father who had been practicing Family Medicine for three decades.
Dr. Dave later embarked on a worldwide pursuit, researching the best-of-the-best in anti-aging medicine. His exhaustive search has made him one of the foremost authorities is preventative health, anti-aging, and nutritional supplements. For example, he may have more scientific research in his medical library on the health benefits of pharmaceutical grade fish oil than any other person in the world. In addition to study and research, Dr. Dave began the development of a new category of nutritional supplements, formulated from his expertise as a physician, and made from only pharmaceutical-grade ingredients.
"“I traveled the globe for many years, searching the four corners of the earth and left no stone unturned,” says Dr. Dave. “What I found is that most people can be significantly healthier through the use of high quality, properly formulated supplements. The problem was that most of the available products did not use a high enough grade of active ingredients, or did not combine the correct amount of ingredients for a multiple-pronged rather than a single-focus approach to the issue. So I developed Dr. Dave’s Best to meet the need."
Dr. Dave is also co-author of "The Immortality Edge" a book dedicated to teaching everyone about the newest hottest field in anti-aging technology, Telomere Biology and giving practical proven advice for better health and a longer life that everyone can use RIGHT NOW!
Latest posts by Dr. David Woynarowski (see all)
- A simple explanation of telomeres and aging - February 19, 2011
- More on telomeres and cancer - February 11, 2011
- Could anti-aging telomeres contain the cure for cancer? - January 12, 2011