Hold onto your hats… and I mean that literally. You’re going to want a little protection on your head when you hear about this latest wild cure for major depression.
They give you a skullcap, loaded with electrodes.
The doc hits the switch, those electrodes come to life, and who knows perhaps the lights start to flicker.
Just kidding (maybe).
But it DOES zap a little electricity through your skull and into your brain.
Dr. Frankenstein? Your 2 p.m. is here!
Supposedly, the new study finds it can help with depression. And it’s not just any form of this mood disorder, but major depression.
That’s the severe blues that can be so incredibly tough to treat. Which means if anyone is promising a new way to fight it off, we HAVE to pay attention.
ZAP AWAY your mood problems?
In the new study, volunteers were given these zaps every day… for 40 minutes… for five straight days. Some got the real deal, some got a fake treatment designed to feel real.
At the end of the treatment… NOTHING.
The major depression remained.
A month later… NOTHING.
A dud? Not quite.
There was something a little odd in the numbers: At the two-week mark… one week after treatment ended… three out of four patients had significant improvements in their major depression of at least 50 percent.
So that’s SOMETHING BIG.
It obviously didn’t kick in right away. And it clearly wore off a couple of weeks later with the major depression creeping back in. But there seems to be something there, and they plan to keep testing it.
On the plus side, the only “risks” seem to be some tingling. There are no reports (yet) of serious adverse events, although some people have hallucinated seeing flashing lights.
Throw on some Pink Floyd, and you can just pretend it’s the ‘60s all over again.
3 drug-free tricks to tackle major depression
So, sure, it’s better than drugs, which have been linked to weight gain, personality changes, sex problems, and more.
But just because it’s BETTER doesn’t mean it’s the BEST choice for YOU.
Or the only one either. Because you’ve got other options for fighting major depression, backed by science and proven to work.
Any one of them, or a combination, could help too. And that’s true whether you choose to try the zap method or not.
Here are three of the best options:
1. Probiotics: What happens in your belly has a DIRECT effect on your brain as stomach bacteria can produce mood-boosting serotonin. In one clinical trial, a mix of Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, and Bifidobacterium bifidum significantly reduced symptoms of major depression in just eight weeks.
2. Curcumin: How good is curcumin? In one clinical trial, it matched the drug fluoxetine, aka Prozac… but without the side effects. In another, it soundly beat a placebo. Both studies were in patients with MAJOR depression.
3. Sugar: No, I don’t mean increase sugar. Eliminate it instead. Because while the sweet stuff alone isn’t responsible for your depression, it can play a role in making it worse and even tougher to treat and harder to beat.
Major depression is nothing to mess with. If you’re feeling depressed, seek out professional help.
But don’t be bullied into taking drugs if you don’t want to. Discuss the other options you can try with your doctor. He can work with you to come up with a depression beating plan custom designed with YOU in mind.
She is an advocate of self-education and is passionate about the power of group knowledge sharing, like the kind found right here on HealthierTalk.com. Alice loves to share her views on holistic and natural healing as well as her, sometimes contentious, thoughts on the profit-driven inner workings of traditional medicine.
Follow Alice and HealthierTalk on Twitter and Facebook.
Latest posts by Alice Jacob (see all)
- The 11.5-million-dollar reason you’re on THIS painkiller - August 24, 2019
- Get an athlete’s advantage WITHOUT breaking a sweat - August 23, 2019
- [REVEALED] Scientists are LYING to you about popular antidepressants - August 23, 2019