Warm weather has descended on America, and along with it Zika panic.
And there’s no doubt about it, the stories are frightening. Devastating birth defects and a terrifying—and sometimes even deadly—neurological condition are enough to induce a bit of panic in even the most stoic among us.
So if you’re glued to the news watching for the latest mosquito updates I don’t blame you… especially if you have any potential or soon-to-be moms in your life.
But there’s another very good reason to be focusing your attention on Zika, and that’s because while we’re all looking the other way Big Chemical has decided to cash in on our Zika panic.
Some of the biggest movers and shakers in the pesticide industry are calling in favors and using their hefty influence in D.C. to get legislators to do a little dirty work for them. Dirty work that would ultimately destroy many years of hard-earned pesticide regulations.
“Zika Control Act” has nothing to do with Zika
Less than two weeks ago the House quietly pushed through a bill named the Zika Control Act.
Sounds great, right? I mean we ALL want to get Zika under control.
But critics who have been closely following this bill have revealed what it really is, and that’s a Trojan Horse of the worst sort.
You see this bill isn’t some speedy reaction to the Zika epidemic that’s headed for our shores. No, it’s an old clunker that’s been making its way around D.C. for a while now.
In fact it’s sported some other attention-seeking names before this one, including the “West Nile” bill (you remember the West Nile panic, right?) and the “Fire Suppression Act.”
Heck, at the beginning of May they were calling it the “Reducing Regulatory Burdens Act.” But I think we can all agree that just doesn’t have quite the same ring to it as the “Zika Control Act,” does it?
Unregulated pesticide spraying will put your family’s health in danger
Here’s what the bill would actually do…
It abolishes the special permit that the ironically named Environmental Protection Agency currently requires before pesticides can be dumped into—or spayed near—our lakes and streams.
And if you’re thinking that’s basically a license for any Tom, Dick or Harry to dump dangerous chemicals—either on purpose or “by accident”—into our waterways without having to tell ANYONE they’ve done it, well let’s just say you win the goldfish.
Experts tell us a stunning 90 percent of our urban streams have already been so poisoned with toxic pesticides that it’s unsafe to eat anything caught in their waters. Should this fake “Zika” bill move forward on the back of Zika panic we can probably kiss that remaining 10 percent goodbye too.
Pesticides already linked to autism, cancer and Parkinson’s
The truth is toxic pesticides pose just as much danger to us—and our children—as Zika does. Take the study that came out of Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center just a couple of months back, for example.
Researchers revealed a terrifying connection between pesticide spraying and skyrocketing autism rates. Currently one in 69 kids will be diagnosed with this lifelong condition.
Other studies have revealed pesticide’s links to Parkinson’s, diabetes, childhood cancers and ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) a deadly neurological disease
Lax pesticide laws are already putting our health in danger, the LAST thing we need is to make it even easier to poison our families.
That’s way I am asking you to take a few moments today to get in touch with your Senators and DEMAND they vote against this shameful Zika Control act. Make it clear that you aren’t being fooled for a minute, and that you’re well aware who this bill is actually protecting… big business.
With so much misinformation floating around, it’s finally time for some truth. You may wonder “How do I protect my family from Zika Virus?” Get our free Zika Virus Survival Guide today.
Jenny Thompson is the Director of the Health Sciences Institute and editor of the HSI e-Alert. Through HSI, she and her team uncover important health information and expose ridiculous health misinformation, most notably through the HSI e-Alert.
Visit www.hsionline.com to sign up for the free HSI e-Alert.
Latest posts by Jenny Thompson (see all)
- Stop using toxic cleaning chemicals in your home - September 25, 2016
- Stockpile vitamin D to stay healthy all fall and winter long - September 17, 2016
- Slash blood pressure & cholesterol with this ancient Indian practice - September 5, 2016