Here Andrew Weil, M.D. and chef Michale Stebner demonstrate how to make a delicious Tuscan Kale Salad.
One of the most popular dishes at True Food Kitchen, a Phoenix, Ariz. restaurant it’s based on the nutritional insights of Dr. Weil.
Kale is a nutrient packed superfood
Kale is among the most nutrient-dense commonly eaten vegetables. One cup of kale is loaded up with a staggering…
- 1,327 percent of the Daily Value (DV) for vitamin K
- 192 percent of the DV for vitamin A
- 88 percent for vitamin C
Powerful antioxidants found in kale—including beta-carotene and vitamin C—fight off damaging free radicals and can help fight aging and ward off chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease diabetes and more.
And potent anti-inflammatory flavonoids such as quercetin and kaempferol can help protect your heart, reduce blood pressure, lower your cholesterol and even fight cancer.
Ingredients for Dr. Weil’s Tuscan Kale Salad
- 4-6 cups organic kale, loosely packed, sliced leaves of Italian black (Lacinato, “dinosaur,” cavolo nero) midribs removed
- juice of 1 organic lemon
- 3-4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves organic garlic, mashed
- sea salt & pepper, to taste
- organic hot red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2/3 cup grated organic Pecorino Toscano cheese (Rosselino variety if you can find it) or other flavorful grating cheese such as Asiago or Parmesan
- 1/2 cup freshly made bread crumbs from lightly toasted bread
How to make Tuscan Kale Salad
1. Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and a generous pinch (or more to taste) of hot red pepper flakes.
2. Pour over kale in serving bowl and toss well.
3. Add 2/3 of the cheese and toss again.
4. Let kale sit for at least 5 minutes. Add breadcrumbs, toss again, and top with remaining cheese.
She is an advocate of self-education and is passionate about the power of group knowledge sharing, like the kind found right here on HealthierTalk.com. Alice loves to share her views on holistic and natural healing as well as her, sometimes contentious, thoughts on the profit-driven inner workings of traditional medicine.
Follow Alice and HealthierTalk on Twitter and Facebook.
Latest posts by Alice Jacob (see all)
- Is your FAT BRAIN eating itself from the inside?! - August 20, 2019
- [URGENT] Popular prostate treatment is DEADLY to the heart - August 19, 2019
- Dementia risk soars 41% with this common condition - August 19, 2019