Recently someone told me that they “don’t have time to eat breakfast.”
I replied, “You don’t have time to NOT eat breakfast. Not eating breakfast is killing you slowly. Your lifespan will be shortened by not taking care of yourself properly, therefore if you don’t eat breakfast you will REALLY be short on time.”
As much as some people don’t always enjoy my tongue in cheek responses to their bad cases of the “I cants“, not eating breakfast simply should just NOT even be viewed as an option.
From start to finish my smoothie recipe takes me all of 5 minutes and 38 seconds to make, including clean up time! This is the five minutes that will SAVE your entire day. Plus, all the cool kids are doing it (ie: my sister).
If you really are short on time you can drink this smoothie while you are getting ready for your day, or during your morning commute. To save time, I keep my blender, protein powder, flaxseeds, flaxseed grinder, and vitamins all together so it is not too overwhelming to deal in the morning.
In a blender add:
- 1-2 cups of rice milk or almond milk (I do half water/half milk to save calories) You can also use organic juice (no high fructose corn syrup or food colorings please!)
- 1/2 cup or more of frozen fruit (Buy a variety of all the different bags of frozen fruits your grocery store offers and mix it up: Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, mango’s, peaches, and pineapple are all great. Peel bananas, chop, and freeze in baggies ahead of time.)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (Designer Whey vanilla is my favorite)
- 1/4 cup plain organic yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons of freshly ground flaxseeds (grind fresh to preserve the delicate omega-3 oils)
- 1 scoop of L-glutamine powder (equivalent to 500mg) for those that have chronic digestive complaints, are easily prone to ulcers, IBS or food allergies, and need some extra gut healing help on a daily basis.
Blend and enjoy!
This delicious treat is one of the fastest healthiest breakfast meals you can make. Let me break it down for you:
- The anti-oxidants, vitamins, and fiber in fruit are great for your cardiovascular system, and a MUST for any anti-aging program.
- Protein powder in your smoothie will stabilize your blood sugar and energy levels, and aid your concentration abilities.
- The probiotics in yogurt help insure optimal digestion as they break down your food in the large intestine
- Flaxseeds are high in omega-3 oils, protein, and fiber. Just 3 tablespoons of flaxseeds gives you 6 grams of dietary fiber! Fiber is great for anyone trying to lose weight as it stabilizes your blood sugar and keeps you feeling full much longer.
- L-glutamine is the fuel of the enterocytes (cells that line our digestive tract), providing them with the food they eat ensures they are replenished on a regular basis. L-glutamine is especially helpful and healing for anyone with chronic digestive complaints.
Feel free to modify the recipe to suit your own needs. I sometimes will add almond butter, bananas, and chocolate Designer Whey together for a really delicious and healthy alternative to a fruity flavored smoothie.
Do you think you can make a smoothie faster than me? Why don’t you give it a try and let me know in the comments below!
Dr. Nicole Sundene is a Naturopathic Physician and a graduate of Western Washington University for her undergraduate degree, and Bastyr University for her Doctorate of Naturopathic Medicine.
She believes we should utilize natural medicines to treat the root cause of disease rather than just treating symptoms, as symptoms are a message of imbalance sent from the body and will persist until they are properly addressed.
Dr. Sundene’s goal with Kitchen Table Medicine is to provide readers with the missing link in their health care experience. She works hard to share with everyone her latest health-promoting finds, tips, and tircks so that they can get the most out of life. Her mottos are “No hype...only help” and “Progress not perfection right?”
Latest posts by Dr. Nicole Sundene (see all)
- The Drug Free Way to Tackle Your High Blood Pressure - August 6, 2011
- Relieve Incontinence and Enhance Your Love Life with Kegels - July 27, 2011
- Self Help for Eczema and Itchy Skin - July 21, 2011