Xylitol is a natural sugar alcohol that’s recognized by dentists and health professionals worldwide as a great alternative to white sugar.
Commonly found in chewing gum and breathmints, Xylitol is known to have a many health benefits associated with its use.
The top 10 health benefits of Xylitol
1. Safe For Diabetics
Unlike sugar, xylitol is not easily converted to fat. Because it is not easily converted to fat, it has almost no effect on insulin levels, making it a safe sugar alternative for diabetics, body builders, dieters, pregnant/nursing women, and also for babies and children.
2. Helps Prevent Cavities
Since it is a non-fermentable sugar, it cannot be converted to acid by oral bacteria. Thus, the alkaline-acid balance in the mouth is maintained, which helps in preventing cavities.
3. Helps Prevent Ear Infections
Xylitol can also be used as medicine in prohibiting certain bacterial growth to help prevent ear infections in young children. It will also help clear out earwax and prevent the growth of harmful bacteria in the pharyngotympanic tubes, connecting the nose and ear.
4. Slows the Growth of Candida
Xylitol helps prevent bad breath, ulcers, and stomach cancer by slowing down the growth of Candida Albicans (a serious yeast infection), and other harmful bacteria like H. pylori.
5. May Improve Bone Density
According to research from the University of Oulu in Finland, xylitol was shown to help improve bone density in rats. This indicates it has potential as a treatment for osteoporosis in humans. For optimal bone health, it is recommended that you eat foods high in calcium or take a calcium supplement.
6. Helps Tooth Enamel & Strength
In addition to preventing cavities, consuming xylitol in small amounts helps decrease plaque formation, and promotes salivation to prevent “dry mouth”, which aids in enhancing mineral absorption for repairing damaged tooth enamel, while increasing tooth strength.
7. Increases White Blood Cell Activity
Xylitol, when taken in small amounts, can help increase the white blood cell activity in fighting bacterial infections, to help build immunity, protect against chronic degenerative disease and have anti-aging benefits.
8. Prevents Streptococcus mutans In Newborns
When used by nursing mothers on a regular basis, it helps reduce the transmission of Streptococcus mutans (oral bacteria that causes cavities) to children by up to 80% during the first two years.
9. May Help With Allergies & Sinus Infection’s
When used as a nasal spray, xylitol is said to be able to help reduce the prevalence of sinus infections, asthma and allergies. It helps decrease the amount of harmful bacteria that may be in the cells of our nose.
10. May Lower Risk of Ovarian Cysts
Xylitol may help lower your risk of developing ovarian cysts, polycystic ovarian syndrome (a condition that disrupts or stops the ovulation cycle), fibroids, endometriosis, premenstrual syndrome and possibly breast cancer.
1. A Maguire1 & A J Rugg-Gunn.Xylitol and caries prevention — is it a magic bullet?: British Dental Journal 194, 429 – 436 (2003)
2. Matti Uhari, Tero Kontiokari, et al. A NOVEL USE OF XYLITOL SUGAR IN PREVENTING ACUTE OTITIS MEDIA: Pediatrics October 1998, VOLUME 102 / ISSUE 4
3. Khaled H. The influence of dietary carbohydrates on in vitro adherence of four Candida species to human buccal epithelial cells: Microbial ecology in health and disease, 2005, vol. 17, no3, pp. 156-162
4. Renko M, Valkonen P, et AL. Xylitol-supplemented nutrition enhances bacterial killing and prolongs survival of rats in experimental pneumococcal sepsis.: BMC Microbiol. 2008 Mar 11;8:45
5. Y. NAKAI, C. ISHIHARA-SHINGA, et al. Maternal Xylitol Consumption to Prevent Mother-Child Transmission of Mutans Streptococci: Seq #143 – Epidemiology/Clinical Studies
11:00 AM-12:00 PM, Friday, 30 June 2006 Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre Exhibit Hall 1
Dr. Edward F. Group III has his Naturopathic Doctorate, Clinical Herbalist, Holistic Health Practitioner, Clinical Nutritionist certifications, and is a Diplomate of the American Clinical Board of Nutrition and the American Board of Functional Medicine. He founded Global Healing Center Inc. in 1998 which has earned recognition as one of the largest alternative, natural and organic health resources on the Internet.
A dynamic author and speaker, Dr. Group focuses solely on spreading the message of health and wellness to the global community with the philosophy of full body cleansing, most importantly colon cleansing, consuming pure clean organic food, water, air, exercise and nutritional supplementation. Visit GlobalHealingCenter.com to learn more about living green and healthy!
Latest posts by Dr. Edward Group (see all)
- Natural remedies to avoid painful gallstones - February 9, 2016
- “Rock solid” bones & “tough as nails” teeth with 10 high phosphorous foods - February 1, 2016
- Siberian stress secret balances mood & clears brain fog - January 23, 2016