The worst autumn trend isn’t pumpkin spice.
They’re putting that stuff into EVERYTHING these days… from coffee to potato chips to SPAM.
Yes, even SPAM has a pumpkin spice version. But I’d happily pull the tab on that can, slice up the mystery meat inside, and eat it for dinner than to put up with this OTHER autumn trend.
It’s FLU SHOTS PROPAGANDA season!
They’re back, baby, and the mainstream is already pushing hard with dire warnings for anyone even considering skipping out.
But are flu shots REALLY the best way to protect yourself from this infection?
Keep reading to find out.
TRUE flu protection… this year and every year
Don’t get me wrong here; the sentiment is correct.
You SHOULD worry about the flu. You DON’T want to get it. And if you’re on the older side, it IS a serious and potentially deadly infection.
And that’s EXACTLY what makes flu shots so darn dangerous!
People get one, and they think they’re covered with a shield the virus just can’t penetrate.
But the truth is they may not be covered at all.
The mainstream sure makes it SEEM like flu shots will give you all the protection you need. But that’s marketing – not science.
When they say a shot is, for example, 50 percent effective, it doesn’t mean it protects half of everyone who gets it.
Most people would never get flu to begin with. In any given year, with or without a vaccine, only about 3 percent or less get sick with flu. A shot that’s 50 percent effective cuts the 3 percent rate down to 1.5 percent.
That means the “absolute” protection is just 1.5 percent.
That’s just a “for example” number, of course. But it’s not far off from what you can typically expect. One analysis of flu shots in recent years found the absolute number is 1.4 percent on average.
Go BEYOND flu shots with these 3 flu fighters
So whether you choose to get flu shots or not, you absolutely must take extra steps to protect yourself from this dangerous infection.
Start with these three cooler weather essentials:
- Astragalus: Don’t let the funny name scare you off. This staple of Traditional Chinese medicine is an adaptogen. That means it can enhance immune function and may even boost white blood cells, which are your first and best line of defense against viruses (including the ones that cause flu).
- N-acetyl cysteine: Yes, it turns out there’s an even funnier name than “astragalus,” and it’s N-acetyl cysteine (aka NAC). In a study out of Italy, NAC supplements cut the risk of flu infections by two-thirds in people exposed to the virus when compared to folks given a placebo.
- Vitamin D: Basic… cheap… and effective. That’s the best combo yet! One study found that this ordinary vitamin could give you SIX TIMES the protection of flu shots or more, and will cut your risk of cold to boot.
And remember, since sun runs low in autumn and winter… and since many people are deficient in D even in the height of sunny summer… don’t count on a little time outdoors to protect yourself. Consider taking a supplement instead.
Latest posts by Alice Jacob (see all)
- How to turn your brain “10 YEARS younger” - June 4, 2020
- “Senior Superpower” allows you to SURVIVE & THRIVE - June 3, 2020
- Fast forward stroke recovery with THIS step - June 3, 2020