They say time stands still for no one. And judging by the fine lines and wrinkles that seem to have popped up on my face out of nowhere, I have to agree. Time certainly is marching on, and it appears to be doing it right across my face.
When most folks think about fighting wrinkles, and other signs of aging skin, they think of skin creams and lotions. I know I always did. And don’t get me wrong, some of those products can work wonders.
But it turns out that caring for your skin, and erasing the years from your face, can start from the inside too. Because researchers now say that a simple and safe nutrient—one we already knew was a free-radical-fighting superstar—can help us put our best face forward.
Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) is a vital nutrient that’s used by every single cell in your body to convert carbs and fats into the energy they need to run. The enzyme helps to fuel your heart and brain, but it turns out CoQ10 can also target those wrinkles and fine lines on your face that make you look older than you feel.
Rediscover your teenage face with CoQ10
In fact, just 150 mg of CoQ10 daily for 12 weeks can significantly shrink the wrinkles and tiny lines around your eyes and mouth, according to the new study published in the journal Biofactors. You’re left with skin that appears smoother and firmer, just like it was in your younger days.1
And the benefits don’t even end there.
An earlier study found that this multitasking nutrient may be able to help protect your skin from the sun by reducing the DNA damage that’s triggered by too much UVA radiation.2 According to researchers, CoQ10 fights skin aging at a cellular level.3
But now the latest research has revealed CoQ10 isn’t just your skin’s best friend in the summer months. When the weather turns chilly, a CoQ10 supplement could be exactly what your skin needs. The nutrient can reportedly reduce the visible signs of aging that come with the cold temperatures and dry air of fall and winter.
It’s true we can’t stop the hands of time completely. But if you can slow them down for about 3 cents a day—what a daily dose of CoQ10 would end up costing you—why wouldn’t you? Give CoQ10 a try and be sure to let us know how it works for you.
1. “The effect of dietary intake of coenzyme Q10 on skin parameters and condition: Results of a randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blind study,” Biofactors. 2016 Aug 22.
2. “Mechanisms of inhibitory effects of CoQ10 on UVB-induced wrinkle formation in vitro and in vivo,” Biofactors. 2008;32(1-4):237-43
3. “Aging skin is functionally anaerobic: importance of coenzyme Q10 for anti aging skin care,” Biofactors. 2008;32(1-4):245-55
Latest posts by Alice Jacob (see all)
- Salad secret WIPES OUT your ‘bad’ belly fat - September 21, 2021
- Weirdly named compound delivers BIG brain benefits - September 20, 2021
- Nix the nagging with this tasty cholesterol trick - September 20, 2021