Last week I wrote about “fountain of youth” hot spring waters which are super rich in minerals and sulfur compounds. These substances penetrate the skin and relieve muscle aches/spasms, arthritis and skin rashes. The warmth of the water increases circulation, which helps detoxification and improves blood flow to the heart.
I realize some of you cannot travel so recreate the hot springs in your own bath like I do. Mineral bath salts like “dead sea” salts are sold at bath shops. I like the scented “Mineral Essence” salts available at SeaSalt.com and for a strong (but relaxing) detoxification bath, I buy the “Mustard Bath Salts” from Sumbody.com.
Below you will find a list of natural, dietary supplements that detoxify you as if you were in a hot spring. Detoxification is just a “cleansing” of the cells (or gut) and that helps unstick pollutants. You clear toxins through a variety of processes including one called “methylation.” You can take any, or all of these but ask your doctor first:
- MSM: This provides the body with sulfur, and sulfur is one of the key healing elements in hot springs. MSM stands for methyl sulfonyl methane and it’s found in fruits and veggies. Some clinical trials suggest that MSM relieves osteoarthritis pain by building up the squishy stuff between your joints. Sulfur-based compounds such as MSM are thought to detoxify the liver (by raising glutathione), improve allergies/asthma and clean out the gut. This is sold everywhere.
- Taurine: This natural amino acid is sulfur based, and sulfur as you just learned is beneficial to the body. Taurine may help people with high blood pressure, heart arrhythmia, high cholesterol and GI problems. Taurine might help protect against macular degeneration.
- Methionine: Another sulfur amino acid that helps you methylate, sold in health food stores. It helps build cell membranes, improve mood and joint pain. This goes on to form SAMe, another popular supplement.
- B 12 and folic acid (or 5-MTHF): These B vitamins make it easier for your body to methylate and therefore, clear toxins. These Bs participate in a metabolic pathway pathway that protects us from breast and prostate cancer. Bs also protect the heart, blood vessels and nerves.
- Magnesium: Hot springs contain a lot of minerals, including magnesium which goes right through the skin and eases muscle aches and pains. Magnesium is the basis for epsom salts actually, and is very soothing. Dietary supplements may improve mood, muscle pain and energy levels.
- Silica: Some hot springs cast a gorgeous blue color, thanks to the high silica content.This trace mineral penetrates the skin and helps psoriasis, eczema and rashes. Silica supplements are a powerful bone builder and beauty tool because it helps form collagen. Think pretty hair, strong nails and supple skin. It may also help with varicose veins and hemorrhoids.
Did You Know?
Blood pressure medications need to be taken at the same time each day (or night) in order to maintain steady blood levels.
In addition to writing a syndicated column on health which reaches 20 million people each week, Suzy is the author of a number of books on natural health.
You may have seen Suzy on The Dr. OZ Show (6 different appearances), The View, The Doctors, Good Morning America Health and hundreds of morning shows. Quotes from Suzy, as well as her articles, have also appeared in major publications including Woman’s Day, Reader’s Digest, OK Magazine!, First for Women, Fitness, Natural Health and Better Homes & Garden and dozens more.
Read more from Suzy at suzyCohen.com
Latest posts by Suzy Cohen, RPh (see all)
- Nutrient found in squash helps fight cancer - October 21, 2016
- Have a headache? Your thyroid may be to blame - October 13, 2016
- WARNING: Painkillers can kill your ability to feel pleasure too! - October 5, 2016