The average American eats 94 grams, or over 19 teaspoons, of sugar a day. That’s over 6,935 teaspoons or 143 cups a year.
In other words, we’re drowning in the sweet stuff.
Even worse, much of that sugar is highly processed, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) we’ve been warning you about for years.
Corn syrup is 20 percent sweeter than raw sugar, and cheaper to buy. Which makes it the sweetener of choice for many food and drink manufacturers.
In fact, experts say 75 percent of packaged foods have HFCS hidden in them.
The corn refiners association, aided by mainstream media, has been pushing the “sugar is sugar” message for years. But as we’ve explained many times before, your body doesn’t process all sugars the same.
High fructose corn syrup converts sugar to fat 18% faster!
Your liver metabolizes about 20 percent of glucose, with the remaining 80 percent metabolized throughout your body. But fructose, on the other hand, slams your liver, with around 90 percent processed by the overworked organ.
As a result, fructose converts to fat far faster than glucose would. Over 18 percent faster, to be exact.
But that’s not where the problem with high fructose corn syrup ends.
Experts say that unlike other types of sugar, your brain doesn’t metabolize fructose. In fact, according to Dr. Tyree Winters it has NO nutritional value at all.
So your body quickly converts it to fat, but it never gets the signal that you’ve eaten and are satisfied. The result? You still feel famished and end up eating even more.
And frankly, it’s killing us slowly.
Just about every major disease epidemic we’re now facing as a nation has our sugar addiction to blame, at least in part.
Heart disease, obesity, type 2 diabetes, fatty liver disease and even cancer are linked to how much processed sugar we’re eating.
Of course, it’s not news that eating a ton of refined sugar is bad for your health. Or that you should reduce the amount of high fructose corn syrup you’re eating.
In as little as 9 days your health could be back on track
But a new study on cutting back on sugar, published in The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, has still managed to stun everyone.1
As expected slashing sugar, especially high fructose corn syrup, from your diet can help prevent many of the devastating diseases I mentioned earlier including obesity, type 2 diabetes and fatty liver.
But according to the researchers, significant improvements to your health show up in less than two weeks!
When researchers cut back on sugar levels, within nine days the conversion of sugar to fat and liver fat levels had plummeted. And both adults and children had improved glucose levels and lipid metabolism as well.
Which means that within a little over a week from now you could be reaping the health rewards from making a change you already knew you should make.
Of course making the change is easy to say, but not always so easy to do. I didn’t use the term “addiction” earlier lightly.
You CAN conquer your sugar addiction
Many experts have described our dependence on sugar as very similar to a drug addiction. In fact, sugar lights up the reward centers in your brain in much the same way as taking a drug does.
So it’s no surprise kicking the habit can be challenging. But the rewards are so huge, and start rolling in so fast, that it’s well worth making the effort.
Start by cutting out the most obvious culprits, such as HFCS-filled candy, sugary baked goods and sodas. But then you’ll need to become a dedicated label reader. Scan food labels for any signs of added sugars, especially corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup.
And keep in mind that sugar can be hiding in some of the most unexpected places. Check out our article 11 common foods that are shockingly full of hidden sugar for some of the most surprising.
The easiest way to avoid hidden sugars in your food is to cook from scratch. Buy your organic fruits, veggies and meats fresh and you can be sure they aren’t hiding any unwanted sweeteners in them.
Don’t worry, that hunger and those sugar cravings you feel when you cut back won’t last. It won’t be long before real foods leave you feeling full and satisfied.
1. “Conversion of Sugar to Fat: Is Hepatic de Novo Lipogenesis Leading to Metabolic Syndrome and Associated Chronic Diseases?,” The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association, August 2017, Vol. 117, 520-527
Latest posts by Alice Jacob (see all)
- Three BIG myths about your Thanksgiving dinner - November 18, 2019
- The LOW cholesterol disaster no one’s talking about - November 18, 2019
- “Stinky” secret slashed colon cancer risk up to 80% - November 17, 2019