Researchers at the University of Otago, in Dunedin, New Zealand split 69 New Zealand adults into three groups. For a period of 12 weeks
- one group was asked to eat two Brazil nuts a day
- another group took 100 mcg of a selenium supplement
- the third group got a placebo pill.
The two Brazil nuts provided about 50 mcg of selenium. The selenium level in the blood increased by 64 percent in the Brazil nut group, 61 percent in those who took the supplement, and hardly at all in the placebo group.
Raise your selenium level naturally
The conclusion was that consumption of two Brazil nuts daily was as effective for increasing selenium status and enhancing glutathione peroxidase activity as taking 100 mcg of selenium. Glutathione peroxidase is one of many important antioxidant enzymes in the body.
There is no need to consume Brazil nuts every day since we get selenium from other food sources. However, rather than taking a selenium supplement by itself, you may consider eating one Brazil nut a few times a week.
One shortcoming of Brazil nuts is that they are quite high in calories. if you put a flame to a Brazil nut you will be amazed how well it burns.
Latest posts by Dr. Ray Sahelian (see all)
- Do Calcium Supplements Cause Heart Attacks in Women? - December 30, 2008
- Saw Palmetto – Should You Worry About Side Effects? - December 17, 2008
- Brazil Nuts – A Great Source of Selenium - November 3, 2008