It’s the worst kind of Catch-22.
Tell your doctor about your acid reflux, and he’ll likely recommend a heartburn drug. And if you DON’T tell your doc about your acid reflux… well… so many of those meds are available over-the-counter now that most people end up on them anyway.
Yep… all roads lead to meds.
But that’s a highway you DON’T want to travel. Because the most common heartburn drugs have some hidden risks. They can lead to digestive problems, bone loss, infection, and more.
They’ve even been linked to Alzheimer’s disease.
Yet, instead of avoiding these drugs, more people are taking these risky meds than ever before. And it’s about to get a whole lot worse.
The UGLY TRUTH about acid reflux
It’s like being at Ground Zero of a volcanic eruption. One where you can’t escape the hot molten lava… because it’s already inside you.
I hope you never have to experience this burning pain for yourself.
But odds are, you HAVE already as new numbers show nearly 1 in 4 American adults suffer from acid reflux at least once a month. And a staggering 15 million folks suffer from it EVERY DAY.
There are two main reasons for this surge in heartburn cases. The good news is that they BOTH are within your power to fix so you can end the acid reflux attacks for good.
- Reason #1: Our diet has changed. We now eat more processed foods than ever. And that junk is loaded up with additives, preservatives, and other hidden ingredients that people are sensitive to, but don’t realize it. Acid reflux could be one sign that you have a sensitivity. Plus, processed junk foods can lead to weight gain and obesity is linked to acid reflux too.
- Reason #2: Heartburn drugs. Seriously. If they TRULY worked… why would MORE people be battling the burning than ever despite using them? See, PPI drugs have a weird little side effect that doesn’t get as much attention as it deserves. It’s called acid rebound. It’s when the reflux comes back worse than ever when you try to quit the meds.
Rebound is actually a sly form of addiction. The attack that strikes when you quit is so bad you instantly start taking the meds again… and some people NEVER find a way off.
Beat heartburn without meds
It’s time to quit the meds AND wipe out acid reflux at the same time. And often, the simplest solutions are the best.
Start with that diet change I mentioned earlier.
Drop the processed junk foods and start cooking your meals using fresh, real ingredients. And avoid common acid reflux trigger foods for the time being such as fried foods, spicy dishes, citrus, raw onions, chocolate, and tomatoes. (You likely will be able to reintroduce them later.)
If you’re overweight, try losing a few pounds. I recommend a lower carb, keto-style diet. The weight will practically melt off.
And for quick acid reflux relief when you’re feeling the burn, few things work better than baking soda. Stir a teaspoon into some cold water, wait for it to clear, then drink up. Ahhhhhhh.
Supplements with digestive enzymes also work for many folks too.
If these changes don’t do the trick, don’t give up and commit to a life on acid reflux drugs. Instead, get tested by an integrative physician who can help you figure out the cause behind YOUR case, so you know how to stop it without turning to meds.
Latest posts by Alice Jacob (see all)
- Keep calm and beat America’s ANXIETY pandemic - April 3, 2020
- Could D help keep us healthy in the age of CORONA? - April 3, 2020
- The ‘athlete’s secret’ to restoring your stamina - April 2, 2020