If you’ve ever stepped on the scale and been surprised to find you’ve packed on a few pounds when you weren’t looking, you’re not alone. Creeping weight gain can happen to anyone. And even worse, the chances of it happening to you go up with each passing year.
Talk about frustrating! But you don’t have to just grin and bear it because we’re going to share three simple tricks with you that you can start using today to effortlessly avoid gaining weight.
1. Fight the battle of the bulge with fish oil:
An exciting new animal study has given us yet one more reason to love our fish oil. It turns out the inflammation-slashing oil may be able to help us stay slim and trim with zero extra effort. When mice were fed a high fat diet those mice who also got fish oil gained an impressive 33 percent less weight than their chubby peers who didn’t get the supplement!1
That’s not all the benefits the omega-3 rich oil delivered either. According to the researchers markers of insulin resistance were 30 percent lower as well. In other words the fish oil may make us less likely to develop diabetes as well. Most experts say 1,000 mg daily should do the trick.
2. Make eating out healthier by ordering ahead:
Planning on grabbing lunch out or meeting friends at a restaurant for a meal? You can avoid overeating and gaining weight by picking out your food before you get there. Most restaurants these days have a copy of their menu online, making it easy to figure out what you want without being tempted by less healthy options when you’re seated at the table.
Taking a look a few hours before your meal when you’re not yet hungry will make you far likelier to make healthy choices. Some restaurants even have apps for your phone that allow you to order a meal for pick up later in the day In fact, according to research published in the Journal of Marketing Research folks who order their food 3 hours before lunch choose meals that are on average 109 calories less than those who order just an hour before.2
3. Supercharge fat burn with vitamin C:
No matter if you’re chasing the grandkids around, cleaning the house or hitting the pool for a swim, it turns out you could boost the benefits of that physical activity simply by taking vitamin C. According to researchers at Arizona State University a group taking 500 mg of vitamin C a day for 60 days burned through an incredible 39 percent more fat when doing any type of vigorous, heart-pumping activity than folks who were running low on the important vitamin.3
1. “Fish oil intake induces UCP1 upregulation in brown and white adipose tissue via the sympathetic nervous system,” Scientific Reports, 5, Article number: 18013, 2015
2. “Advance Ordering for Healthier Eating? Field Experiments on the Relationship Between the Meal Order–Consumption Time Delay and Meal Content,” Journal of Marketing Research, June 2016, Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 369-380
3. “The impact of vitamin C depletion on a short-term diet,” Presentation April 3, 2006 at the American Society for Nutrition, Inc. (ASN) Experimental Biology Conference 2006 in San Francisco
Latest posts by Alice Jacob (see all)
- [ALERT] What HIGH blood sugar does to your BRAIN - March 4, 2021
- The stroke risk you can see in your bathroom sink - March 3, 2021
- Little-know amino acid could RESTORE your strength - March 3, 2021