Did you know that dry skin is seen more in people with light skin, blue eyes and fair hair?
Darker-skinned people and men have thicker, oilier skin than light-skinned people do. This is because skin pigments and oils help prevent the skin from drying out as frequently.
However, if genetics didn’t provide your body with these natural moisturizers, then your diet can help combat your dry skin problem.
Try to include foods in your diet regimen that contain…
- Vitamin A—This vitamin can be found in liver and fish liver oils such as cod liver and can often heal the cracked skin of the feet.
- Vitamin E—Nicknamed the “vanity vitamin” because it helps keep the skin moist and youthful, this vitamin can be found in vegetable oils and wheat germ.
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) —An omega-3 fatty acid, EPA is found in oily fish or fish oil such as cod liver, herring, mackerel, salmon and sardine, and can help reduce the symptoms of dry, itchy or flaky skin.
These oils find their way into the epidermis by way of sebaceous glands in the dermis and help it to remain supple and not dry out as quickly.
Michael Cutler, M.D. is a board-certified family physician with 18 years experience specializing in chronic degenerative diseases, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue.
A graduate of Brigham Young University, Tulane Medical School and Natividad Medical Center Family Practice Residency in Salinas, Calif., he serves as a medical liaison to alternative and traditional practicing physicians. His practice focuses on an integrative solution to health problems.
Dr. Cutler is a sought-after speaker and lecturer on experiencing optimum health through natural medicines and the Founder and Editor of Easy Health Options™ newsletter—a leading health advisory service on natural healing therapies and nutrients and is Medical Advisor for True Health™—America's #1 source for doctor-formulated nutrients that heal.
For more information visit www.truehealth.com.
Latest posts by Dr. Michael Cutler (see all)
- Get Eagle Eyes, Radiant Skin, and Super-Charged Immunities - October 8, 2015
- 4 quick tips to help banish headache pain FAST! - October 5, 2015
- Do healthy sugar substitutes really exist? - September 18, 2015