Let’s face it, losing weight is tough. And, to make matters worse, as we get older it gets even more challenging. So if you’re like a lot of folks, you’re always on the lookout for any tips or tricks that can help you finally win the battle of the bulge once and for all.
Wake up thinner with these “lose weight while you sleep” tricks
If so, then you’re going to LOVE these two simple tips that can help you effortlessly lose weight while you sleep!
1. Tuck your tech in early:
Unplug earlier, and not only will you get a better night’s sleep, that sleep is likely to translate into a thinner, healthier you. You see, your cellphone, laptop, TV and even some e-book readers emit blue light that throws your natural sleep and wake cycles—known as circadian rhythms—right off the track. Blue light can cause you to have trouble getting to sleep, staying asleep or reaching deep sleep, and that lack of shuteye can show up around your waistline.
In one study, folks who had at least one electronic device in the bedroom were 1.47 times more likely to be overweight than their peers who had tech-free bedrooms. When there were three devices—such as a cellphone, tablet and TV—the likelihood of being overweight shot up to 2.57 times. In fact, researchers at the University of Alberta concluded that just one hour of extra sleep a night reduced the chances of being overweight by 28 percent, and of being obese by a stunning 30 percent!1
Stow away all your electronics at least one hour before going to bed, and reap the rewards in the form of a whittled down waistline as you lose weight while you sleep.
2. Call it a night one hour earlier:
More than a third of adults in the United States aren’t getting enough asleep.2 Most of us need a solid seven to eight hours a night, or we raise our risk for being obese, along with a laundry list of other troubling chronic conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and even mental-health issues.3
A review published in the journal Obesity, found that folks who get too little sleep tend to weigh more than those who are getting plenty of shuteye.4 And the long running Nurses’ Health Study revealed that women who got just 5 hours or less of sleep a night, were 30 percent more likely to pack on 30 pounds over the course of the study.5
The simple solution? Commit to getting one more hour of sleep a night.
Scientists can’t say for sure why cutting corners on sleep causes us to pack on the pounds, but they have some really good ideas. It may be as simple as the fact that being awake longer means we have more time to snack. Or perhaps folks who are overtired from lack of sleep tend to be too tired to exercise as well. (Sound familiar?)
And then there are the hormones that are involved. When you don’t follow your natural sleep cycle, the appetite hormones that trigger hunger can get knocked off balance, making you eat more.
The bottom line is getting enough good quality sleep every night could finally be the key to winning your own fight against flab. Lose weight while you sleep starting today.
1. “Availability and night-time use of electronic entertainment and communication devices are associated with short sleep duration and obesity among Canadian children,” Pediatr Obes. 2013 Feb;8(1):42-51.
2. “1 in 3 adults don’t get enough sleep,” Press Release, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report
3. “Recommended Amount of Sleep for a Healthy Adult: A Joint Consensus Statement of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and Sleep Research Society,” Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, Vol. 11, No. 6, 2015
4. “Short sleep duration and weight gain: a systematic review,” Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008 Mar;16(3):643-53.
5. “Association between reduced sleep and weight gain in women,” Am J Epidemiol. 2006 Nov 15;164(10):947-54.
She is an advocate of self-education and is passionate about the power of group knowledge sharing, like the kind found right here on HealthierTalk.com. Alice loves to share her views on holistic and natural healing as well as her, sometimes contentious, thoughts on the profit-driven inner workings of traditional medicine.
Follow Alice and HealthierTalk on Twitter and Facebook.
Latest posts by Alice Jacob (see all)
- “World’s oldest spice” slashes blood sugar in just 5 weeks - February 18, 2019
- Slash fat and slim down with this tiny seed (start TODAY) - February 18, 2019
- “Cure diabetes” in 2 weeks with this powerful polyphenol?! - February 17, 2019