This organic version of the traditional holiday ham is brought to you by HealthierTalk.com contributor Tony Issacs.
Here’s what Tony has to say about this organic take on the holiday ham…
“You may have to do a bit or online searching to come up with an organic smoked ham as well as the other organic ingredients, but it will be well worth the time and extra money to have a healthier version of a delicious traditional favorite."
- 1.2 (7 lb) of an organic uncured smoked ham ham – (about 7 lbs. fully cooked)
- 1/2 cup pear juice (organic if possible)
- 1/2 cup orange juice (organic if possible)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed organic unrefined brown sugar
- 1/2 cup raw organic honey
- 1/4 cup of cloves (optional)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hrs
1. Score ham with a sharp knife in a diagonal pattern. Repeat scoring, diagonally, in the opposite direction to create a crossing pattern. If you opt for the decorative and spicy cloves, insert whole cloves at the crossings.
2. Preheat oven to 375Â°F.
3. Place ham, cut end down, in a large baking pan.
4. Mix pear nectar and orange juice in a bowl.
5. Bake ham for 15 minutes basting frequently with juices.
6. Mix brown sugar and honey together in a small bowl.
7. Brush mixture over ham and bake for another hour or until internal temperature reads 140Â°F.
Varieties: In addition to making this delicious ham with or without cloves, you can also use a bit of blackstrap molasses in place of perhaps a couple of tablespoons of the honey for a richer taste or, for a wonderful maple taste, use 1/4 cup organic maple syrup and 1/4 cup of honey instead of 1/2 cup of honey.
You can visit Tony’s Healthy Holiday Recipes page for more delicious recipes like this one.
An enthusiastic believer in the power of natural healing, Alice has spent virtually her entire 17-year career in the natural-health publishing field helping to spread the word.
She is an advocate of self-education and is passionate about the power of group knowledge sharing, like the kind found right here on HealthierTalk.com. Alice loves to share her views on holistic and natural healing as well as her, sometimes contentious, thoughts on the profit-driven inner workings of traditional medicine.
Follow Alice and HealthierTalk on Twitter.
Latest posts by Alice Wessendorf (see all)
- Hidden Threat May Have You on the Road to Cancer - October 4, 2015
- Top 10 Healthy Alkalizing Foods for Healthy pH Balance - August 4, 2015
- A Serious Warning for Men With Prostate Problems - June 5, 2015