The Dangers of Mold & Mildew in your Home or Office

No matter who you are, or where you live, everyone needs to reduce the amount of mold and mildew in the air they are breathing in. If you smell a musty odor in your home or workplace, there is a good chance that it is probably mold or mildew.

Mold Spores

Of course, if you actually see mold in your home or office, then you know you have a problem. The bad news is, most of the toxic mold floating around in our air is actually invisible to the naked eye, but still may be seriously affecting your health.

Ancient oriental medicine tells us that clean, fresh air, is one of the most important components of not only physical, but also mental health. Simply put, without clean air, the body cannot function properly. When the body is not functioning properly, the mind cannot function with ease and clarity.

The word disease literally means, “dis-ease,” or being in a place where the body is not at ease. Without oxygen, we cannot live. With unclean air, we may be able to sustain ourselves, but we will not be at ease, or free of disease. This is one of the reasons why the presence of mold and mildew in our indoor air has been clinically associated with more than just allergic reactions. Some studies show a link between airborne mold spores and depression, and even death!

Many similar studies have shown that the average human being breathes in an incredibly high amount of toxins from environmental air. In fact, with each breath, we take in more toxic substances and less of the vital oxygen that we need, than ever before.

Mold & Mildew: Where Does it Lurk?

Most molds are microscopic fungi that grow on a host surface, like a loaf of bread or a musty, kitchen cabinet. The green mold you see on an old loaf of bread is not one mold, but is actually clusters of hundreds of connected networks of mold.

Moldy Bread

Each mold spore clusters together using tiny, tubular arms to create a singular organism, commonly referred to as a cluster. This clustered type of mold is visible.

But oftentimes, high amounts of “un-clustered” microscopic individual mold spores are moving through our airspace. These spores are completely invisible to the human eye. For this reason, mold and mildew can be hard to spot, and therefore even harder to get rid of.

Although a small amount of mold and mildew won’t hurt most of us, it begins to become a big problem when the mold spores get out of hand. When quantity does get out of hand, or when individuals who are highly sensitive to toxic mold, breathe it in, it can present a serious health hazard. Mold and mildew are known to cause respiratory problems, common allergic reaction symptoms, nervous-system disorders and depression.

In particular, there are certain types of molds that produce what are called mycotoxins. These molds are particularly dangerous and create a toxic breathing environment for you, your children and your pets. Studies have shown that breathing in large amounts of these mycotoxins can impair the entire human system, and can even lead to death.

Eye Opening Statistics About Mold:

  • * A groundbreaking report from 2007 stated that scientists found a direct correlation between a high presence of mold in households and depression.[1]
  • * The EPA has estimated that over 100 million Americans live in toxic indoor air environments. [2 (PDF)]
  • * Even more shockingly, studies have shown that the air inside our homes can be worse than the air outside. The average American spends around 90% of our time in enclosed buildings, and over 60% of our time in our houses.[3]
  • * Scientists have identified over 1,000 types of mold and mildew inside houses in the United States.[4]
  • * More than 100,000 types of mold exist![5] 
  • * “Stachybotrys” is a highly-toxic type of mold that has been related to human death.[6]

Toxic Mold: How It Survives

Mold lives off of any organic matter, and loves a warm, humid environment. This includes your leather jacket, a peach, old newspapers, bathroom walls, window sills, ceilings and wall-paper. Most often, mildew, which is a form of mold or fungus, infests our living or work spaces when there is a high level of moisture, like a musty basement or a shower wall. It comes in through our walls, windows, doors, carpets, or under the refrigerator.

Mold spores can also be carried in on our clothing, shoes, pets and our bodies. Doctors warn against breathing in mold over long periods of time. Often times, our homes and offices are infested with toxic mold and mildew. And, because it can hide in cracks in our walls, as well as other invisible places, most of us are unaware that we are being exposed to the extremely harmful effects.

Today, mold growth in homes and places of work is more of a health issue than we may think. So it’s important that you recognize the symtoms of mold in your home, and take steps to protect yourself and your family.

Share/Save/BookmarkPrinter-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

About the author

author-picture

Dr. Edward F. Group III has his Naturopathic Doctorate, Clinical Herbalist, Holistic Health Practitioner, Clinical Nutritionist certifications, and is a Diplomate of the American Clinical Board of Nutrition and the American Board of Functional Medicine. He founded Global Healing Center Inc. in 1998 which has earned recognition as one of the largest alternative, natural and organic health resources on the Internet.

A dynamic author and speaker, Dr. Group focuses solely on spreading the message of health and wellness to the global community with the philosophy of full body cleansing, most importantly colon cleansing, consuming pure clean organic food, water, air, exercise and nutritional supplementation. Visit GlobalHealingCenter.com to learn more about living green and healthy!


Comments

Anonymous's picture
1

toxicmoldtruth

Homeowners concerned about mold in their homes may want to check out the remarkable research on toxic mold removal done by environmental expert Dr Ed Close. Simply diffusing a therapeutic-grade essential oil regularly will likely result in an environment very hostile to mold, not to mention the health benefits, long-term protection, and simply making your home smell great. You might also consider using the Thieves Household Cleaner that Dr Close suggests for his remediation clients.
http://www.secretofthieves.com/m...

Anonymous's picture
2

toxicmoldtruth

Anyone dealing with mold and allergy concerns may want to check out the remarkable research on toxic mold removal done by environmental expert Dr Ed Close. Simply diffusing a therapeutic-grade essential oil regularly will likely result in an environment very hostile to mold, not to mention the health benefits, long-term protection, and simply making your home smell great.
http://www.secretofthieves.com/m...

Anonymous's picture
3

black mold removal

This will serve as a warning for other people. I really support this kind of informative articles. I hope more people will be reach by this blog.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <p> <strong> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h2> <h3> <u> <em>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.